09 Mar Invisalign or Reveal Aligners: Which One to Choose?
If you have always wanted a perfect smile, but don’t want to wear traditional braces, then aligners could be the solution for you.
Invisalign and Reveal use transparent custom-made trays called aligners to straighten your teeth. Similar to traditional braces, the series of aligners use continuous, gentle force to move misaligned teeth into position. Each aligner is worn for approximately 2 weeks. The number of sets needed depends on the severity of your misaligned teeth. Your dentist will give you guidance on this.
Are Clear Aligners right for me?
Clear aligners are best used for adults or older teens with healthy mouths and fully developed jaws.
Aligners are great to resolves issues such as:
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Minor spacing issues
- An Overbite
- An Underbite
- A Crossbite
It must be noted that aligners cannot be used to treat very complex or severe orthodontic problems.
Advantages of Clear Aligners compared to conventional Braces:
- Aligners are virtually invisible so you do not have to feel self-conscious about your smile during treatment.
- Aligners are removable so unlike conventional braces you can eat and drink what you like with no restrictions. Also being removable means it’s much easier to keep your teeth clean and maintain good oral hygiene.
- Aligners are safer and more comfortable: as they are made from soft plastic and don’t have any sharp metal brackets or wires that can cause cuts and sores.
- Aligners need fewer dentist visits: Clear aligners do not need as much maintenance as braces, and so there is no need to visit the dentist as often
There are lots of different types of aligners to choose from. Invisalign and Reveal are among the most popular. With so many options available, it can be very confusing so here is our quick guide to choose which aligner is right for you.
Overview of Invisalign:
Invisalign is one of the oldest and perhaps the most well known of the aligners systems.
Treatment starts with a consultation and record appointment which is used to generate a bespoke treatment plan, an animation to show how your teeth will change and an indication as to how many sets of aligners will be needed.
Invisalign sometimes requires the placement of attachments to accomplish more complex movement. Attachments are tiny tooth-coloured “bumps” made from dental composite and are bonded to the tooth surface. This helps the Invisalign aligners engage with your teeth and move them into their new positions.
Invisalign aligners are made from a blend of plastics called ‘SmartTrack’ which has been developed for durability and flexibility.
Once your treatment is complete, you will be expected to wear retainers for a period of time, to ensure that your teeth do not move back into their original positions. ‘Align Tech’, the company behind Invisalign aligners, produces its own line of retainers called ‘Vivera’ retainers. They are made with the same material as their aligners so they will also be comfortable, durable and virtually invisible.
Overview of Reveal Aligners:
Reveal aligners are one of the newest aligners to the market but have quickly become one of the most commonly used aligners out there. They are made by Henry Schein who are the the world’s largest dental company.
Just like with Invisalign, the treatment begins with a consultation and a careful examination of your teeth and bite, the dentist will create a treatment plan best suited to you. The treatment plan will include how long the treatment will be, how many sets of Reveal aligners will be required, and how the position of the teeth will change throughout the treatment.
Reveal aligners require fewer attachments than Invisalign and are made of a special material called ‘ClearWear’; a crystal clear plastic which is stain-resistant. This makes them easier to maintain and clean and therefore less noticeable.
Again, once the treatment is complete, you will be need to wear a retainer to ensure your teeth don’t move back out of their new position.
So what do I choose? Invisalign or Reveal Clear Aligners?
Both Invisalign and Reveal aligners are popular options for straightening teeth without traditional metal braces. While both options have their pros and cons, the best choice for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Your dentist will of course help to advise on what might be the best solution for your dental needs.
Here are some key factors to consider:
- Cost: In general, Reveal Aligners are slightly less expensive than Invisalign.
- Treatment time: Both Invisalign and Reveal Aligners can straighten teeth in a similar amount of time, but the specific treatment timeline will depend on the severity of your orthodontic issues.
- Comfort: Both Invisalign and Reveal Aligners are designed to be comfortable to wear. However, some people find that Invisalign aligners feel more comfortable, as they are made of a slightly thinner material.
- Aesthetics: Both Invisalign and Reveal Aligners are clear and virtually invisible, but some people prefer the slightly more transparent appearance of Reveal aligners.
In general, both Invisalign and Reveal Aligners are effective options for straightening teeth. The best choice for you will depend on your specific needs, your budget, and your personal preferences.
We can talk you through this so if you would like a consultation with one of our dentists, please contact the practice on 0117 950 7949 and make any appointment so we can help you make an informed.